Job by Islamic Relief
Agriculture, Natural Sciences
September 30, 2022
Post Title: Irrigation Expert/Officer
Reports to: Project Manager
Duty Station: wast Harerghea Zone, Chiro Woreda with frequent travel to Meayso
Salary: As per the organizations scale
Required: One (1)
Duration: One year with possible extension based on performance review
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Jigjiga, Hargelle, Elkere, Bare, GG and Dekasuftu, Afar Regional State; Ewa, Awra and Gulina; Oromia regional State, West Harergeye, Chiro and Meayso Woredas,Borena zone of Dire,Dubluk,Elewaye and Yabello woredas and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information, please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us.
The role of Irrigation Expert/officer is to contribute in the planning and implementation of all measures related to irrigated agriculture development where Islamic Relief Ethiopia engaged to run WASH and Livelihood integrated project. The post holder will provide technical advice on irrigation scheme design and construction, water management, irrigation development, drainage, flood control, water user association organization & strengthening and infrastructure development works; promote small scale irrigation scheme combined with best agronomic practices and promote high value crops that provide quick and high return.
The post holder will provide strategic guidance and leadership under the supervision in regular consultation with the supervisor, implements sustainable irrigation schemes development at Oromia Regional State, Weast Harerge Zone, chiro/Meayso.
Create a transparent and environment friendly service in the project area where he /she is responsible to Improve food security and livelihoods of the vulnerable intervention agro-pastoral and pastoral households, through the provision of sustainable and easily adaptable irrigation technology for crop and fodder production. She/he provides overall technical, organizational support and plays a leading role in irrigation facility construction activities in collaboration with Senior WASH Officer she/he is assigned, including technology and best practices, awareness creation and linkages and behavioral change through education, information and communication. She/he supports people’s empowerment, collective action and solidarity. Facilitates and encourages active participation of and networking between individuals and communities in recognizing problems, identifying solutions, and implementing project activities related to the identified solutions.
He/she will lead the design, monitoring and evaluation of Islamic Relief’s Irrigation works supplies. He/she will lead the overall irrigation intervention in and provide technical support in Agriculture thematic area to the field teams and represent Islamic Relief in the Regional National Agriculture forum and other related clusters. Central to his role will be building the capacity of field staff and relevant offices.
The Irrigation Expert/Officer will also be responsible for timely implementation of the planned activities, documentation of the project plans, outputs, outcomes and reporting as per the reporting schedule set by the project under close supervision of the Senior livelihood Officer.
Major Duties and Responsibilities of this post include:
Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primary, shared, or contributory accountabilities for all or part of the following areas of major duties and key end-results. To improve agricultural production of the target beneficiaries, Irrigation Expert/Officer will be primarily responsible to design, plan, implement, monitor and evaluate Islamic Relief’s Irrigation Project in coordination with Project Manager, Senior livelihood Officer and Livelihood Coordinator. He/she is ultimately responsible for getting projects are accomplished as per plan and conditions.
· Identifies formal and informal sources of information and collects, and report all available data on the evolving situation in the sector.
· Keeps the effective flow of information and communication crucial for the planning and implementation of measures in Agriculture sector.
· Advise on the cultivation of food crops, vegetables, fruit trees and fodder crops that is adaptable to the area;
· Design and assist in implementing demonstration plots for innovative agricultural crops & agronomic practices;
· Provide technical support to the post-harvest handling and marketing of local agricultural products;
· Working together with Senior WASH and livelihood Officers and assist local communities in setting up water user groups;
· Taking part in supervision of works, acceptance of works related to irrigation scheme development;
· Contribute to the elaboration of environmental and social impact assessments for the individual measures to be implemented;
· Establish baselines and follow-up of project indicators.
· Together with project staffs prepare work plans and budget in line with project proposal.
· Ensure that the project is implemented according to the plan.
· Collaborating with the project staffs, provide technical support and liaise with the staffs of relevant government partners and research organizations.
· Actively participate in regular planning, monitoring and evaluation of project progress.
· Ensure that voluntary farmers & beneficiaries are targeted in the implementation of activities.
· Coordinate and run training on improved agronomic practices in collaboration with the Senior Livelihood Officer staff of the project.
· Undertake periodic assessment and participatory evaluation of various crop varieties based on farmers’ criteria.
· Give training on climate smart agriculture for project beneficiaries including sensitizing of climate change and its adaptation.
· Involve relevant government department staffs at various levels in the implementation of the project and aware them the progress
· Monitor and document the project progress, lessons, good experience and impact with the community representatives.
· Submit weekly/bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual and semiannual reports to the Senior Livelihood Officer.
· Establish and maintain good working relationship with government office and other NGO and community members
· Performs other duties as assigned by the line manager.
· University bachelor degree in Agronomy, Irrigation Agronomy, Plant Sciences, Crop sciences, Arid land agriculture, Extension and other related disciplines with hand on irrigation agriculture experience and trainings.
· At least five years of practical work experience in the field of irrigation agriculture (focus on small-scale irrigation would be an asset)
Skills and Competences
· Good Experience in rural development particularly in diversified livelihood and participatory research approaches.
· Practical experience of working on community empowerment, business development, capacity building and natural resources management
· Experience of project planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation.
· Proven knowledge in the economics of irrigation agronomy.
· Demonstrated skills in design preparation, bill of quantities and specifications
· Proven skills in project planning, design, implementation, M&E;
· Demonstrated ability in proposal and report writing skills;
· Proven management and people coaching, mentoring and supervisory skills;
· Good communication skills, ability to convey complex information in a straightforward manner to target communities and staffs under his supervision.
· Strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relations with multicultural and multi ethnic teams, including working with partner organizations
· Experience of training and capacity building and ability to carry out training needs analysis and develop capacity building, Mentoring and coaching skills
· Ability to work in hardship and longer hours and good skill of data collection
· Proven experience in networking, influencing and negotiation skills
· Strong commitment and sympathy to core Islamic Relief Values
· Knowledge of the government current systems and policy environment specifically at Woreda level;
· Willing to work in remote area, committed challenging work and value centered individual;
· Fluency oral and written communications in English. Local language (Somali) is preferable
· Demonstrated skills working in computer software, Spreadsheet etc.
Safeguarding and Equal Opportunity
Islamic Relief and Islamic Relief staff considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and people at risk to be paramount to the organization. And must adhere the principle of ‘do no harm and leave no one behind.’ It is critical we do not expose communities or staff we work with to the risk of harm through our interventions. With a zero tolerance approach Islamic Relief have a number of related policies which also describe standards in behavior expected from the organization, its staff and representatives towards each other and those we serve. Islamic Relief is committed to responding swiftly, appropriately and constructively to any and all information children, young people and people at risk have disclosed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and child abuse during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment before signing the contract agreement.
Islamic Relief believes everyone has the right to be safe, respected and valued regardless of who they are or their circumstances, and an equal employment opportunity to all candidates and qualified applicants, we do not discriminate on the base of age, sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability status and diversity.
How to Apply
· Interested candidates are required to submit a complete Job application form with all required supporting documents (copy of credentials and testimonials) through Ethiopia.HR@islamic-relief.org.et.
· You can access the Job Application Form with this link: http://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx. Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
· Closing date for the application is October 14, 2022.
· Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates.
· Female candidates are highly encouraged.
Oct 14, 2022